Monday, October 5, 2009

a very special day :)

Saturday started out as a normal day.

AB + banana on Ezekiel...mmmmmmmmm

But a normal day it was not! The boy and I had decided that this past weekend was to be our 2 year anniversary celebratory weekend!!!! What an occasion...:)

We had made reservations at SUGIYAMA in New York City. Looking at the menu all of last week got me super super hyped and a little anxious. This would be the most money I've spent on a meal in my life! I expected it to be super awesome, especially on such a special day but what if...what if????

Well I am glad to say that this lovely little place DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It was, to say the least, absolutely incredibly fantastically breathtakingly AMAAZING.

We both ordered the 8 Course Modern Kaiseki - each course was exquisitely arranged and the flavors were delicately balanced and unique. What an extraordinary meal! I'll stop blabbing and let you see for yourself.

Romantic little table for two ;)

Our evening's culinary journey...

Gorgeous decor!! The little lanterns and branches started here and sprawled all over the ceiling. It was magical!

Without further ado, our 8 course meal!

Course 1: Monkfish liver tofu - sooo soft and creamy, light and delicate. Loved the little wooden spoon too!


Course 2: Assorted seafood and veggies - there's Japanese green bean in wine jelly, shrimp, tuna fish cake, egg, a whole little crab, whitefish cake, and edamame. Yes, I picked that little crab up and popped the whole thing in my mouth, shell and all! I was a little scared, not gonna lie, but it tasted pretty good.

Course 3: Sashimi platter - one of my favoritessss! Tuna, red snapper, octopus, uni, and some other fish I forgot topped with freaking GOLD FLAKES. Yes I ate those first hahaha. Also an oyster on the side which was delicious...and I'm absolutely terrified of raw oysters!

Course 4: Clear soup - that fish cake was amazing melt in my mouth bliss, I've never had anything like it! The soup itself was light, but flavorful, and warmed the cockles of my heart.

Course 5: Mixed seafood on HOT ROCK!! - We got a marinated mixed plate of assorted seafood (fish, shrimp, some mushrooms and peppers) and were given a glowing firey rock to cook it on. Deeelicious.

Course 6 : Assorted sushi and salad- I LOOOVED this one. The slow cooked octopus on the left made me go into total foodgasm, so so so incredible aahhh! Mushroom and watercress salad, veggie and eel sushi on the right. Basically everything on this plate was utter ecstasy.

Course 7: Assorted veggies and stuff in a light broth - shiitake mushroom, taro, and fried tofu stuffed with fish cake in a lightly marinated broth. So flavorful and tender and delicious :9.

Course 8 (nooo): Sticky rice and Miso soup - Sticky rice packed with goodies served with assorted pickles and miso soup. Hearty and left me quite satiated.

Desert: Yay one more!!! Fresh grapefruit and wine jelly topped with a light cream. Fragrant, lightly sweet, and the perfect end to a terrific meal.


And so ends my journey into Food Heaven. It was such a fun (and incredibly delicious!) experience with my fave dude on our very special day. What more could I ever ask for??

1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful! The whole experience probably costs as much as a meal at Sushi Oishi ;)

    ReplyDelete