Friday, September 25, 2009

microwave livin'

Hurhur, I'm so bad at this blogging thing. That, and my quick-n-dirty meals during school days just don't seem very picture-worthy.

For those of you who are wondering what exactly I eat on a day to day basis, well, it's basically a haphazard jumble of what I have around. Of course, I do try to balance my meals as much as possible, fitting in ample servings of fruit and veggies, proteins, and grains. The way I eat during the day is kind of a continual series of snacks; I don't really have formal meals but rather just grab and put together something if I feel hungry.

Some of the stuff I eat:
-salads or fresh veggies with hummus or salsa
-microwaving frozen vegetables
-veggie burger sandwiches
-pb (well, almond butter) & j sandwiches
-crackers with cheese or some other sort of spread
-eggs (i microwave them) topped with ketchup or salsa
-yogurt (somes with cereal or fruit mixed in)
-fruit
-nuts

I keep it simple and healthy. There's plenty of stuff that I can eat and enjoy that involves minimal prep and maximum nutritional benefits. Fruits and nuts are grab n go, whole wheat and grain crackers and cereals are great sources of carbs, pre-washed salad mixes and frozen veggies are easy enough to put in a bowl and serve. I'm lazy, what can I say.

The combinations are endless. Veggie burger on wheat cracker topped with mushroom nut pate. Flavor party!

Of course, living out of a fridge and microwave gets tiring sometimes, so I go out to eat maybe once a week or so. Last week, we hit up one of my fave spots, Nassau Sushiiiii. Mmmm.


Hwe dup bap (diced raw fish and tons of veggies and seaweed on a bed of rice with spicy sauce), small kimchi and vegetable sides, and miso soup. So freaking amazing.

Bibimbap: egg, chicken and veggies over rice in a hot sizzling stone pot with spicey sauce.

Love how they're so generous with the veggies. Hummm <3.

Today, I went grocery shopping. My supplies have been dwindling, made up for occasionally by filching apples and bananas from the dining hall. I kinda got a hang of what works and what doesn't now.


Today's damage: Mountain Rise organic vegan granola, Amy's fire roasted salsa, dried apricots, Gardenburger Veggie Medley patties, Amy's Texas style veggie burgers, lots of frozen vegetables: broccoli, edamame, mixed vegs, yellow and red bell peppers, Fage greek yogurt, organic spinach and greens mix, organic baby carrots, goat milk yogurt (to try out), hemp milk, and almond milk.

I also bought two grapefruits (I looooove grapefruits), a half pound of hummus from Olives, and some Tupperware so I can make my dining hall thievery more efficient. I held off from buying more Puffins cereal because, although I finished pretty much the two BOXES I bought last time, they are too addictive and dangerous to be kept around on a regular basis. But for those of you who do not know the wonders of peanut butter Puffins, EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Yesterday, I also ordered a humongous box of instant organic oatmeal from Amazon. Eating oatmeal for breakfast really does wonders in getting me through my morning classes.

In other news, I love my three day weekends and the weather has been gorgeous. Ladeeedaaa~




2 comments:

  1. I'm in awe, how do you stay so healthy in college?! I definitely sampled the pecan pie at dinner tonight.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and by the way, pb puffins are my lifesource.

    ReplyDelete