Sunday, September 6, 2009

mo' muffins

Yesterday, I made really scrumptious and really ridiculously healthy banana nut muffins. I was experimenting with cutting ingredients out and subsituting more guilt-free things and I was afraid they'd turn out disastrous but that wasn't the case at all! They're moist, dense, lightly sweet, flavorful, and deeelicious!

Fresh out of the oven :)

Happily cooling; you can see a few chocolate chip ones too.

I've been experimenting with this recipe for a while, making a few modifications each time. Originally, they came from this recipe but they've come such a long way that they're kinda like a whole different species of muffin now hahaha. Anyway, they're really easy to make and I had no qualms about eating like 3 of them yesterday because they're so healthy!!!

Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
2 egg whites
1/3 cup yogurt (I used nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 375F. Beat together bananas, egg whites, yogurt, and vanilla until creamy. Add in flour, baking soda, powder, salt, cinnamon and stir until smooth. Add in nuts and stir until even.

Grease or line with paper 12 cupcake slots. Fill about 3/4 with batter. Pop into the oven for 18-19 minutes and ENJOY!!!

Yes, I realized recently that ripe bananas are usually sweet enough that sugar isn't necessary for these kinds of recipes. I like these because they have a lot of banana nutty flavor but are just lightly sweet. If you like your stuff a little sweeter, I guess you could add sugar or other sweetener. Omnomnom.

I also made a spectacular smoothie afterwards.

1 banana with a generous helping of frozen berries

Resulted in a yummy and beautifully colored smoothie. Matches my bloggy background.

And then I did a take two of the garden burger wrap I made a few days ago. So simple and delish :D.

Strips of sun-dried tomato and basil Gardenburger topped with salsa on half a wheat tortilla.

All wrapped up and ready for nomming.

I think I'm only going to post more interesting meals from now on. A lot of times I just munch on a piece of toast or fruit or something and I just get too lazy to take a picture of something so ordinary. Yes, I'm cutting corners hahaha. Typical lazybum me.

Tonight is Labor Day dinner partay 2009! We're having friends over and there will be food. A lot of food. Mmmmm, my tummy is really excited. We're cleaning the house to get ready now; hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment