Thursday, September 10, 2009

birthday swank and (more) bananas

Yesterday, 090909, happened to be Lil's birthday so of course we went to celebrate in style! Despite being more than a little sick, the birthday girl suggested we go to the gorgeous Redwood Restaurant in downtown Bethesda. This restaurant is visually STUNNING. Nothing I write or post here can really capture what it was like to see it in person. It's huuuuuge with these gigantic windows (that were totally open since it was a gorgeous day) so it was like a huge posh open air lounge. It was beeyootiful.

Redwood also uses primarily local, organic, and sustainable ingredients for all its dishes. Yay!


Long restaurant is looong. Check out those enormous open windows!

The interior and outside view from our table.

Birthday girl <3

We started the evening with a lovely cheeseboard with soft cow, goat, and semi-hard sheep cheeses. It was served with raisin bread crackers, figs, honey, and raisins.

All three cheeses were delish! I also pretty much slurped up that little bowl of honey...

Next came the entrees! I was stuck between getting their salmon and seared ahi tuna dishes. Dilemma! In the end, I reasoned to myself that I had had more than enough salmon the other day, so I should move on to a different fish. Ahi tuna, come to me!

Seared ahi tuna steak with baby eggplant, olive, and 3 grain salad topped with greek salad garnish. Beautiful and sooo yummy.

Lil got the pasta of the day, a three cheese ravioli.

Mmmm, my tummy was humming with happiness afterwards. The steak was deceptively filling and left me with no room for anything else, even though I had planned on a little dessert...

Anyway, it was a quiet, pleasant, and altogether lovely little evening with my girl. Happy birthday, Lil!!! Welcome to the land of the old :p

----

Other eats of the day included quartered red pepper topped with taboule salad. Simple but the flavors went together surprisingly well! Light, refreshing, and poifect :)

I also made banana craisin almond oatmeal cookies.


Again, super healthy and devoid of fattening ingredients. The original recipe is here but again, the ones I made don't really resemble the originals anymore. I made rounded ones and also a few flatter ones. The rounded ones are cakey and dense while the flat ones came out very chewy and slightly firmer. If you like soft, muffintoppy cookies, bananas are a good ingredient to use.

Ingredients I used:

3 mashed ripe bananas
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 egg whites
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 tsp vanilla extract
a lot of cinnamon (just shook the dispenser up and down a few times...)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup craisins

Combined wet ingredients and then mixed in the dry ones. Baked at 350F for about 10 minutes.

Not gonna lie, I am a little sick of bananas...gonna lay off the little yellow guys for a while haha.

In other news, I got a haircut today. I am sporting a serious bob now hahaha. It feels a little foreign but it's nice to have my hair nice and short again. I think I've pretty much given up on the long hair thing for good...

No comments:

Post a Comment